This creamy-textured dip will disappear quickly even at nonvegan gatherings. Bake it in two ramekins if you want to freeze half to reheat another day. Alter levels of garlic and spice depending on your crowd. Adapted from this recipe by Dreena Burton. Shown here served hot with organic blue corn chips. A delightful alternative to hummus!
2 generous c frozen artichoke hearts
2 10-oz pkgs frozen spinach (cut or leaf)
1 c raw cashews
3/4 c plain unsweetened almond milk
3 T lemon juice
1/4 c nutritional yeast flakes
3 -6 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 t spicy brown mustard
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t black pepper
3/4 t salt
2 pinches cayenne
generous few pinches freshly grated nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Thaw spinach (2 minutes in microwave) and squeeze most of the water out. Thaw artichoke hearts about halfway (1 1/2 minutes in microwave).
2. Place all ingredients except spinach and artichoke hearts into bowl of food processor. Whir it all up till quite smooth.
3. Process a little over half the artichoke hearts by pulsing just enough to chop slightly.
4. Remove blade and stir in spinach and remaining artichoke hearts.
4. Bake in one or two ramekins, covered with foil, 18 minutes. Switch oven to broil; brown the top slightly, uncovered, for two to three minutes. Serve hot with sliced french bread, pita, or corn chips.