These coffee cake-like apple pecan muffins are delicious warm, spread with vegan butter or with cashew ‘cream cheese’. Toast pecans lightly so those on top don’t overtoast during baking. I use freshly ground Ceylon cinnamon. Read the difference between cassia and Ceylon cinnamon here. Yes, health benefits and flavor go together!
I often use 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour so they’re not overly cupcake-like; don’t think you have to run out and get whole wheat pastry flour though. The batter may seem a little dry at first but moistens up as the apples bake. Recipe adapted from CoffeeVanilla blog.
Prep Time: 10 – 12 minutes
Cook Time: 25 -30 minutes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (1/2 c of it whole wheat pastry flour if you like)
1/2 cup sugar (a largish half cup — heap it a bit).
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 heaping teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 large organic red apple
1 tablespoon flax seed + 2 tablespoons warm water
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup canola or other mild oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup whole pecans
Cinnamon Topping Ingredients:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegan butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 F; spray muffin tin with coconut oil.
2. Lightly chop then toast pecans on stovetop in small dry skillet till fragrant and lightly browned (about 7 minutes).
3. Mix together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices) in large bowl.
3. Make topping by combining flour, vegan butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and, once cooled, 1/2 cup pecans. Set aside. (Works best if ‘butter’ is cold; set aside in fridge once made if it’s a hot day).
4. Grind flax seed, whisk into warm water, then combine with almond milk, oil, and vanilla.
5. Peel and chop the apple medium-fine.
6. Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients; fold in pecans and chopped apple.
7. Fill 12-muffin tin with mixture. Place cinnamon streusel over top and press slightly.
8. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or till lightly golden browned. Cool for just a couple minutes before removing from tin. Place on a cooling rack. Enjoy!